Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chak de India! Reflection


I loved Chak de India. It was your typical 'Bad News Bears' team, only this time with field hockey. What I enjoyed most about this movie was how it showed one team go from having very little support and faith in one another, to the complete opposite. It truly empahsized the importance of teamwork when playing a sport.

When the movie first started playing, I saw field hockey as a sort of awkward sport; it almost seemed silly. I have heard of the sport int the past, but I would have never thought it as popular as it was in this movie. However by the end of the film I saw field hockey as a new sport that I would like to try sometime. It was also interesting how this movie was placed in India. When I think of this country, I am so brainwashed with what the media tells me. I think of India as a poverty stricken, over populated country. Althought this movie did show some of the poverty that India suffers, never in a million years would I imagine field hockey being a big sport within the Indian culture. It was just a new cultural bridge for me that I wouldn't have ever imagined to be true.

I would watch this movie again and I would also recommend it to a friend. It is the perfect example of a Cinderella story and you leave not only leanring a few things about the Indian people, but how important friendship and teamwork is.

No comments:

Post a Comment