Monday, March 15, 2010

Gran Torino: Reflection

Like I had stated earlier in my Review, I have seen Gran Torino in the past. Only this time I was to watch this movie through more of a cultural perspective, rather than a Hollywood one. In doing this, I have found that we do live in a very racist society, many of us catergorize people based off of their apperance and where they live. We tend to underestimate those who do have a lot of potential just because of their background.
This movie, as many of you may already know, is based on an old, bitter, racist old man who lives in what is quickly becoming a ghetto. Many of his neighbors are of Asian descent whom he immediately assumes are barbaric, if you will. This is a story about a boy and his Hmong family who changes this man's perspective on others and even life.
Even though the acting was awful, in my opinion, this movie had a strong plot and showed how gangs can largely affect other people and their society. This movie also did a good job is showing the clash between the Hmong culture and the stereotypical American culture as well. Personally, if the acting was more convincing I would have probably liked this movie more. Otherwise I enjoyed the suspense and the moving story that it had.

No comments:

Post a Comment