Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fargo: Reflection

Fargo was released in 1996 and after it's release it soon became a nation wide hit. This is basically a story about a man (Jerry) who works at a car dealership and is suffering from financial problems. Due to his financial issues, he begins to loose his good judgement and starts to go to extremes in order for him to recieve the money he owes. What he does, is he basically hires two hit men to pretend to kidnap his wife so her wealthy father will pay the men what Jerry owes. Of course, things do not go as planned and blood is inevitably shed over the money, and much more.

Personally, I'm not sure why so many people enjoy this movie. Perhaps it is because it pokes fun at Minnesotans and their stereotypical accent? Maybe it's because the plot is so outrageous it attracts large amounts of people? Whatever it is, I have never been fond of this film. I do enjoy the humorous side of the movie, but the plot itself I think could have been better. I have no problem with blood and guts, but I think this movie could have also done well without it. The first time I had ever seen this film, I didn't even know this movie had any killing in it whatsoever; it was my understanding that it was just a simple movie making fun of people from Minnesota. Shockingly there was much more to it than that.

I would recommend this movie to others despite its gruesome scenes. Since it is a film loved nation wide, I think people should see it just so they can simply say 'I've seen it.' Otherwise I wouldn't voluntarily watch it more than once. Many people I know enjoy this movie, but I'm personally not a fan of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment